Re: Using ceph.conf for CephFS kernel client with Nautilus cluster

Hi,

Jeff Layton schreef op 2022-02-03 14:45:
On Thu, 2022-02-03 at 12:01 +0100, William Edwards wrote:
Hi,

I need to set options from
https://docs.ceph.com/en/nautilus/cephfs/client-config-ref/ . I assume
these should be placed in the 'client' section in ceph.conf.

The documentation for Nautilus says that ceph.conf should be placed when
FUSE is used, see:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/nautilus/cephfs/mount-prerequisites/ . However,
ceph.conf is not mentioned on
https://docs.ceph.com/en/nautilus/cephfs/fstab/#kernel-driver .
Therefore, the clients don't currently have an /etc/ceph/ceph.conf.

In contrast, the documentation for Pacific says that there **must** be a
ceph.conf in any case: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephfs/mount
-prerequisites/#general-pre-requisite-for-mounting-cephfs

Newer Ceph versions contain the command 'ceph config
generate-minimal-conf'. I can deduce from the command's code what
ceph.conf on the client should look like:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/mon/ConfigMonitor.cc#L423

L428: [global]
L429: fsid
L430 - L448: mon_host (not sure what 'is_legacy' and 'size() == 1'
entail; I guess I'll see)
L449: newline
L450 - L458: This is deduced from
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/a67d1cf2a7a4031609a5d37baa01ffdfef80e993/src/mon/ConfigMap.cc#L98
. get_minimal_conf only adds options with the flags FLAG_NO_MON_UPDATE
or FLAG_MINIMAL_CONF, but I don't see any 'set_flags' statements in
master; so I'm not sure which options have those flags.

So the resulting config would contain the global section with 'fsid' and
'mon_host', my custom options in 'client', and possibly 'keyring'.

Questions:

- Is it acceptable to use a ceph.conf on the kernel client when using a Nautilus cluster? It can be specified as the 'conf' mount option, but as
the documentation barely mentions it for kernel clients, I'm not 100%
sure.
- Is my evaluation of the 'minimal' config correct?
- Which options have the FLAG_NO_MON_UPDATE and FLAG_MINIMAL_CONF flags?
/ Where are flags set?

The cluster is running Ceph 14.2.22. The clients are running Ceph
12.2.11. All clients use the kernel client.

The in-kernel client itself does not pay any attention to ceph.conf. The
mount helper program (mount.ceph) will look at that ceph configs and
keyrings to search for mon addresses and secrets for mounting if you
don't provide them in the device string and mount options.

Are you saying that the options from https://docs.ceph.com/en/nautilus/cephfs/client-config-ref/ won't take effect when using the kernel client?

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards