Ceph Leadership Team Meeting: Jan 12

Hi Cephers,

These are the minutes of this week's CLT meeting:

   - *Quincy Release*: feature status

   - *Per component:*
      - *rgw* - rate limiting merged, others on track

   - *cephfs* - some test reruns, teuthology fix should be merged soon.
      cidr needs update, testing

   - *rbd* - design concerns for encrypted clones, other prs in flight as
      well. end of jan realistic date

   - *dashboard* - feedback module outstanding, everything else is smaller
      fixes/features

   - *rados* - things in progress, should be merged by friday
   - Branch quincy on Friday 5pm PT, after that merge fixes to master and
   backport to quincy

   - *Outdated Ganesha packages at download.ceph.com
   <http://download.ceph.com>:*
      - Where does download.ceph.com/nfs-ganesha come from? One user has
      emailed the list a couple times about the Ubuntu packages being very
      outdated — NFS-ganesha packages for Ubuntu missing for Ceph Pacific
      - Dan emailed ceph-users "are you using nfs-ganesha builds from
      download.ceph.com" -- *asked users why not
      use https://download.nfs-ganesha.org/ <https://download.nfs-ganesha.org/>*

   - *In-tree Zipper backends*:
      - Do we care as a project? What are our standards for code inclusion
      re: testing and distribution of such things?
      - Discussion around pros & cons of in-tree code (CI, deps, etc). *No
      decision made yet.*

   - *Sebastian Wagner (Cephadm Lead) Leaving Ceph this month*. Adam King
   taking over

   - *Cephadm*:
      - Compile Cephadm (https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/41855) to be merged.
      Lands hopefully during January.

   - *"master" branch to be renamed "main":*
      - "master" in the docs/git branch/code base (rgw and rbd sync mostly?
      some very internal rados variables)

   - change branch names in all repos after quincy release

   - other instances in rgw/rbd - target fixixng in R, updating docs and
      maintaining backwards compat with commands/apis

   - *Issue:  OSDs use 200GB RAM and crash*

   - has become a thread with many users claiming that osd ram exploded
   some time after pg splitting, causing various levels of disaster

   - https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53729 links to several related tickets

   - which info do we need from users, and where should we collect it?

   - num entries in pg log (is ceph pg dump LOG column accurate for this?);
   debug_osd 20 debug_ms 1; anything else about context, history, use-case,
   size ?

   - is gibba regularly splitting / merging ?

   - *(Non-dev) users struggle when contributing to docs *[
   https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/44150#issuecomment-1010884872].
      - Could we make the process friendlier for occasional/non-dev
      contributors? Wiki-like?
      - Zac Dover (@zdover23)'s response: advertise me more. Make it
      possible for Jake (and future Jakes) to find me. I think if we
make a wiki,
      we increase the administrative cost of incorporating correct information
      into the upstream docs.

   - remove commit message check for docs prs

   - fix edit on github link - s/blob/edit/

   - add zac automatically to docs PRs via codeowners (@ceph/doc-writers
      team)

   - *Automate Dependabot backports:*

   - "Dependabot" monitors repo dependencies (Python, JS, Java, Git
   submodules, Golang, Docker, ...) and sends PRs:

   - when a CVE is reported for the current version of a dependency,

   - or when a dependency is upgraded (according to a configurable upgrade
   policy: major, minor or patch upgrades only)

   - Dependabot is already there [
   https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/.github/dependabot.yml]

   - Currently Dashboard-only. Feel free to extend to cover other
   components [
   https://docs.github.com/en/code-security/supply-chain-security/keeping-your-dependencies-updated-automatically/configuration-options-for-dependency-updates
   ]

   - It only covers master branch, so to streamline the backporting process
   a proposal would be to use "mergify" [
   https://docs.mergify.com/examples/#dependabot]

   - Mergify is already enabled in the Ceph org and it's used in
   ceph-ansible and ceph-nano repos.

   - It allows to customize the merge commit message with Reviewed-by,
   however it uses github handles, not emails (
   https://docs.mergify.com/configuration/#data-type-template)

   - Agreed to enable mergify for backporting dependabot PRs

   - *Fastly is reviewing their CDN Open Source Programme for 2022* -- news
   later.

   - *Release notes for minor versions not backported to release branches.*
      - Should we backport? or add a link to the top of the release notes
      advising to always look in /latest/ ?

Kind Regards,
Ernesto