Re: are you using nfs-ganesha builds from download.ceph.com

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:24 AM Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ceph Users,
>
> There was a question at the CLT today about the nfs-ganesha builds at:
> https://download.ceph.com/nfs-ganesha/
>
> Are people actively using those? Is there a reason you don't use the
> builds from https://download.nfs-ganesha.org/ (which links to the
> Storage SIG in the case of CentOS and has builds for SUSE, Debian, and
> Ubuntu).
>
> Asking another way -- if we stop building nfs-ganesha and distributing
> them on download.ceph.com -- what would break?

The OpenStack Manila CI for CephFS NFS driver could be using
download.ceph.com for ganesha packages [1] ? I see that the Ubuntu
Focal based manila CI is using ganesha packages from ppa [2] .
Victoria, are any manila CIs using download.ceph.com ganesha packages?

download.ceph.com helps build nfs-ganesha and nfs-ganesha ceph related
packages (e.g., nfs-ganesha-ceph, nfs-ganesha-rados-urls) using the
desired version of ceph client packages (e.g., master, latest-pacific,
etc.) .  When nfs-ganesha-ceph, nfs-ganesha-rados-urls and CephFS NFS
manila driver were under heavy development "download.ceph.com" was
crucial.  We fixed issues in ganesha/ganesha's Ceph FSAL/libcephfs,
built ganesha packages using download.ceph.com, and used them in the
manila CI. Currently, manila's CephFS NFS driver is transitioning to
use cephadm and mgr/nfs module.  To enable this we need to fix a
NFS-Ganesha Ceph issue
https://github.com/nfs-ganesha/nfs-ganesha/issues/757 and possibly
others.  If the fixes end up in ganesha and ceph client libraries, I
expect that download.ceph.com would build ganesha packages using ceph
packages from latest quincy or latest pacific and not wait for a point
release of Ceph. Can we build such packages for
https://download.nfs-ganesha.org/ ?

Thanks,
Ramana

[1] https://github.com/openstack/devstack-plugin-ceph/blob/stable/xena/devstack/lib/ceph#L928