Re: Experience reducing size 3 to 2 on production cluster?

Hi Martin,

Agreed on the min_size of 2.  I have no intention of worrying about uptime
in event of a host failure.  Once size of 2 is effectuated (and I'm unsure
how long it will take), it is our intention to evacuate all OSDs in one of
4 hosts, in order to migrate the host to the new cluster, where its OSDs
will then be added in.  Once added and balanced, we will complete the
copies (<3 days) and then migrate one more host allowing us to bring size
to 3.  Once balanced, we will collapse the last 2 nodes into the new
cluster.  I am hoping that inclusive of rebalancing the whole project will
only take 3 weeks, but time will tell.

Has anyone asked Ceph to reduce hundreds of millions if not billions of
files from size 3 to size 2, and if so, were you successful?  I know it
*should* be able to do this, but sometimes theory and practice don't
perfectly overlap.

Thanks,
Marco