Re: Migration from CentOS7/Nautilus to CentOS Stream/Pacific

	Carlos,

Carlos Mogas da Silva wrote:
: >From what I can gather, this will not be smooth at all, since I can't make an inplace upgrade of the
: OS first and then Ceph and neither other way around. So the idea is to create a total new Ceph
: cluster from scratch and migrate the data from one to another. The question is, how do I do this
: last step?

I've just finished the in-place migration from C7 to C8Stream myself.
What I did was:

- upgrade the cluster to C7 + Octopus, because Octopus packages are available
  both for C7 and C8.

- upgrade the OS on the mons one by one, preserving the
  /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-* directories (backup before and restore
  afterwards is OK). My mon hosts also run an instance of mgr and rgw,
  so start also these. I did this at least a month ago, so I don't exactly
  remember whether I did some more magic somewhere :-). But the cluster has
  been running happily for at least a month with C8Stream+Octopus mons
  and C7+Octopus OSDs.

- ceph osd set noout

- upgrade the osd hosts one by one:

  - create a kickstart.cfg file which deletes all the non-ceph partitions,
    creates new ones, and installs C8Stream there.
    I have OSD data on whole disks without partitions, so the installer does
    not have a chance to overwrite them accidentally - it would fail when
    trying to delete the old system partitions first, even if the order of
    the disks gets changed somehow. Something like this:

    ignoredisk --only-use=nvme0n1,nvme1n1
    clearpart --list=nvme0n1p1,nvme0n1p2,nvme0n1p3,nvme1n1p1,nvme1n1p2,nvme1n1p3

  - I set up Kickstart.cfg as a minimal install of C8Stream with ansible SSH
    public key added to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys in %post (remember
    to restorecon -R /root/.ssh in %post as well).

  - I booted the installer using PXE+UEFI with GRUB, so that I can include the
    ks=.../kickstart.cfg option there and don't have to enter it manually.
    Just don't make the grub entry with disk-overwriting kickstart.cfg the
    default one :-)

    - In dhcpd.conf, I have

      next-server my.tftp.server;
      filename "c8stream/grubx64.efi";

    - I've put grubx64.efi, vmlinuz, grub.cfg and initrd.img to
      my.tftp.server:/tftpboot

    - the grub.cfg entries are:

      set timeout=120
      default skip

      menuentry 'Exit GRUB (and try next boot option)' --id skip {
              echo Bye :]
              exit
      }
      menuentry 'CentOS 8 Stream Kickstart (REWRITES DISKS!!!)' {
          linuxefi /c8stream/vmlinuz ip=dhcp inst.ks=http://my.http.server/kicksart.cfg
          initrdefi /c8stream/initrd.img
      }

  - Then I used ansible to configure the rest (Ceph repository, packages,
    and some other tools we need - snmpd, ...).

  - Make sure to have /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring installed
    with the correct bootstrap-osd key.

  - after the osd host is up and running, re-attach the OSD volumes with
    "ceph-volume lvm activate --all"

  - after "ceph -s" reports no other problem than the noout flag being set,
    continue with the next OSD host.

- ceph osd unset noout

- optionally, upgrade to Pacific (I did not do that part yet)

For me, it still was a lot of manual work, because I also did a BIOS upgrade
on each OSD host, so I had to reconfigure the BIOS NVRAM as well. I guess
it took me about 30 to 60 minutes per host.

Hope this helps,

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/                         GPG: 4096R/A45477D5 |