Re: can i pause a ongoing rebalance process?

Den tis 7 dec. 2021 kl 09:16 skrev José H. Freidhof
<harald.freidhof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello together
>
> question: i repaired some osd and now the rebalance process are running. we
> suffer now performance problems. Can i pause the ongoing rebalance job and
> continue it at night?

Yes, "ceph osd set norebalance" should pause them (might leave some to
finish, but stop new rebalance jobs from starting)
As long as you don't have degraded/recovery this is perfect to
start/stop PGs that are in good health but misplaced/remapped
currently.

If you have other operations in queue also (or if you get
degraded/undersized while rebalancing) they can end up behind one of
those ops in the per OSD queue*) and those would not start until this
particular rebalance finishes, but otherwise it should be fine.

*) This is just my personal experience, haven't looked at the code
logic or anything, just left a mimic cluster with PGs that either
needed rebalance or backfill+degraded/backfill+undersized and the
second ones would not run after I paused rebalances.
Perhaps fixed in more recent versions, or perhaps my hunch is slightly off.