Re: [Ceph-community] Why MON,MDS,MGR are on Public network?

Den mån 29 nov. 2021 kl 13:14 skrev Lluis Arasanz i Nonell - Adam
<lluis.arasanz@xxxxxxx>:

> I don't trust the public network and afraid of if mons goes down due to this problem? So to be more secure and faster I need to understand the reason; 3- Why Mon,Mds,Mgr >should be
>   on public network?

"Public" as far as Ceph goes is "where ceph clients like RGW, MDS and
RBD mounting machines" can reach them. It has nothing to do with
routable IPs or anything, or having it on the outside of a firewall or
similar ideas that also use the word "public network". It is only used
as the opposite of the "cluster network" which is strictly for
OSD<->OSD traffic (if you use a cluster network, one doesn't have to
use two separate networks, and in the one-network case, it is the
public one that gets used for all traffic).

The idea to separate OSD<->OSD traffic probably comes from the fact
that replication means data gets multiplied over the network, so if a
client writes 1G data to a pool with replication=3, then two more
copies of that 1G needs to be sent, and if you do that on the "public"
network, you might starve it with replication (or repair/backfill)
traffic.

Many run with only one network, using as fast a network as you can
afford, but if two separate networks at moderate speed is cheaper than
one super fast, it might be worth considering, otherwise just scale
the one single network to your needs.