Re: Why you might want packages not containers for Ceph deployments

Just as a friendly reminder:

1) No one prevents you from hiring developers to work on Ceph in a way you
like.
2) I personally dislike the current release cycle and would like change
that a bit.
3) There is a reason companies like our own prevent users from using latest
as "production", we tag them as nightly and not roll them out to most
environments until we or others found enough bugs or made sure that release
is stable enough for production. This often came with us ignoring releases
and still not setting pacific to default for new installations for a very
long time. So still every new croit deployment by default (without changing
it) is still on octopus instead of pacific and as you see on the changelog
for a good reason.

I would strongly suggest to not run something like a luminous or minic
release anymore, it's old but it also lacks a lot of debugging
functionality that makes it hard for support teams like ours to help users
fixing a cluster. Having 5-10y LTS is therefore something I would not
recommend and it's a requirement from the past in my personal opinion.
However a timespan of 3-5y is something the Ceph community should try to do
and we from croit would happily support that.

--
Martin Verges
Managing director

Mobile: +49 174 9335695  | Chat: https://t.me/MartinVerges

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263
Web: https://croit.io | YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx