Re: Migrating CEPH OS looking for suggestions

On 9/30/21 14:48, Drew Weaver wrote:
Hi,

I am going to migrate our ceph cluster to a new OS and I am trying to choose the right one so that I won't have to replace it again when python4 becomes a requirement mid-cycle [or whatever].

Has anyone seen any recommendations from the devs as to what distro they are targeting for lets say the next 5 years?

CentOS 8 stream should be supported to may 31, 2024. Ubuntu 20.04 should bring you to april 2025. I don't think Ubuntu 20.04 will be targeted for a Ceph version released in 2026.

If, in some point in time, you want to decouple host OS from Ceph, a containerized approach can be used (cephadm). You will just use whatever container is available / preferred at that time. With extended maintenance, you might be able to leave host OS running Ubuntu 20.04 for ~ 8.5 years from now. As long as requirements regarding container infra (docker / podman, etc.) don't change in the mean time ...

It also depends to what Ceph version you want to upgrade. You can wait for new Ubuntu version 22.04, and newest Ceph release Quincy and manage a 5 year period.

Gr. Stefan