Why set osd flag to noout during upgrade ?

Hello everybody,

I have a "stupid" question. Why is it recommended in the docs to set the osd flag to noout during an upgrade/maintainance (and especially during an osd upgrade/maintainance) ?

In my understanding, if an osd goes down, after a while (600s by default) it's marked out and the cluster will start to rebuild it's content elsewhere in the cluster to maintain the redondancy of the datas. This generate some transfer and load on other osds, but that's not a big deal !

As soon as the osd is back, it's marked in again and ceph is able to determine which data is back and stop the recovery to reuse the unchanged datas which are back. Generally, the recovery is as fast as with noout flag (because with noout, the data modified during the down period still have be copied to the back osd).

Thus is there an other reason apart from limiting the transfer and others osds load durind the downtime ?