Re: Adding cache tier to an existing objectstore cluster possible?

And we are quite happy with our cache tier. When we got new HDD OSDs we tested if things would improve without the tier but we had to stick to it, otherwise working with our VMs was almost impossible. But this is an RBD cache so I can't tell how the other protocols perform with a cache tier.

Zitat von Zakhar Kirpichenko <zakhar@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

You can arbitrarily add or remove the cache tier, there's no problem with
that. The problem is that cache tier doesn't work well, I tried it in front
of replicated and EC-pools with very mixed results: when it worked there
wasn't as much of a speed/latency benefit as one would expect from
NVME-based cache, and most of the time it just didn't work with I/O very
obviously hitting the underlying "cold data" pool for no reason. This
behavior is likely why cache tier isn't recommended. I eventually
dismantled the cache tier and used NVME for WAL+DB.

Best regards,
Zakhar

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 7:16 AM Szabo, Istvan (Agoda) <