Re: ceph fs re-export with or without NFS async option

On Wed, 2021-09-08 at 16:39 +0000, Frank Schilder wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about a ceph fs re-export via nfsd. For NFS v4 mounts the exports option sync is now the default instead of async. I just made the experience that using async gives more than a factor 10 performance improvement. I couldn't find any advice within ceph community information on how dangerous this really is and if there is an alternative way to re-export ceph fs providing the same level of performance.
>
> The ceph fs is a kernel client mount. I don't want to go fuse-mount as the performance is worse than the NFS sync export option.

It's dangerous. Exporting with 'async' basically makes the nfs server
pretend that all writes have been written to stable storage when they
haven't. COMMIT calls over the wire basically become no-ops. If the nfs
server crashes then you may see data corruption due to lost writes.

I've not played much with re-exporting kcephfs via nfsd, but you could
also consider using the nfs-ganesha userland server. I doubt though that
the performance will be any better though.

With a network filesystem like cephfs on the backend, you can't really
get around the extra hops that reads and writes have to take on the
network. The only real way to fix that would be to support pNFS, but
there is not currently a consensus on how to do that.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>