quay.io vs quay.ceph.io for container images

Hi all,

Seeking some clarifications regarding the new official ceph container
registry...

I used to deploy ceph in containers via ceph-ansible from the official
docker.io registry (being default in ceph-ansible up to now) using the
ceph/daemon image i.e this https://hub.docker.com/r/ceph/daemon

I noticed the other day that quietly, the docker hub one won't be
maintained anymore, and we're encouraged to use quay.io registry if you go
by the above docker hub link.

If you go by the documentation
https://docs.ceph.com/projects/ceph-ansible/en/latest/installation/containerized.html,
we are encouraged to use quay.ceph.io registry.

However, the two registries above, quay.io and quay.ceph.io, have very
different image names and tags. Using registry:quay.io image:ceph/daemon
tag:v16.2.5, I get a broken cluster with the mon refusing to start. Using
registry:quay.ceph.io image:ceph-ci/daemon tag:latest-pacific, it is
successful (same version 16.2.5).

So which one is the real official one that we should use and why the
different names and tags?

Personally I prefer the tag matching the actual minor release like v16.2.5
though...

Cheers,
Linh

--

Linh Vu

Assistant Team Lead | Openstack Upgrade and Enhancement

M:  +61 400 082 201

P:   +61 26 190 0000

linh.vu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <rupert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

www.vaultcloud.com.au