Re: Mon-map inconsistency?

Hi Melanie,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 10:06 AM Desaive, Melanie
<Melanie.Desaive@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I execute "ceph mon_status --format json-pretty" from our ceph-management VM, the correct mon nodes are returned.
>
> But when I execute "ceph daemon osd.xx config show | grep mon_host" on the respective storage node the old mon node IPs are returned.
>
> I am now unsure, that if I change more mon nodes, the information known to the OSDs could become invalid one after the other and we could run into heavy problems?

"config show" is showing you the mon IPs read from the OSDs'
ceph.conf, and is what is used to initially connect to the mons. After
that, my understanding is that those IPs don't matter as the OSDs will
use the IPs from the mons for further connections/communication.
However, I'm not certain what happens if, for example, all of your
mons were to go down for a period of time; do the OSDs use the last
monmap for reconnecting to the mons or do they revert to using the
configured mon IPs?

At the very least, you should be fine to replace all of your mons and
update each ceph.conf with the new info without needing to restart the
OSDs. After that it may be wise to restart the OSDs to both update the
configured mon IPs as well as test to make sure that they can
reconnect to the new mons without issue in case of a future outage.

Josh