Re: mon startup problem on upgrade octopus to pacific

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 11:21:07AM +0200, Sebastian Wagner wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 03:52:29PM +1000, Chris Dunlop wrote:
I'm stuck, mid upgrade from octopus to pacific using cephadm, at the point of upgrading the mons.

Could you please verify that the mon_map of each mon contains all and correct mons?

The existing octopus mons are in quorum with no health warnings so yes, at that point the mon_maps are fine. This issue comes about when trying to add a new pacific mon to the existing octopus mons.

The normal mon upgrade process is "in-place", i.e. taking down an old version mon and bringing up a new version mon on top of the existing mon database etc. Because of other problems (docker version too old, and never having a cephfs on the cluster tickling a upgrade bug[0]) the in-place upgrade failed twice. That made me a bit wary of the in-place upgrade, so once I'd recovered the cluster back to full health I thought I'd try adding a new pacific mon rather than do an in-place upgrade. That's when I came across this issue of the new pacific mon not joining the old octopus mons. Whilst not the normal upgrade path, adding a new version mon to old version mons is expected to work, but in this case it didn't.

See also the thread started on ceph-devel on this issue, there's been a bit more activity over there:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg52181.html

Cheers,

Chris

[0] https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/51673