nautilus cluster down by loss of 2 mons

Hi

We have a nautilus cluster that was plagued by a network failure. One of the monitors fell out of quorum Once the network settled down and all osds were back online again we got that mon synchronizing

However the filesystem suddenly exploded in a minute or so from 63G usage to 93G resulting in 100% usage At that point we decided to remove that mon from the cluster and hope to compact the database on the remaining mons so that we could add a new mon while there was less synchronizing to do because of the smaller database size

Unfortunately the tell osd compact command made the database on mon nr 2 grow very fast resulting in another full filesystem
hence a dead cluster

Can anyone advice towards the fastest recovery in this situation?

Thanks

Marcel