2. Reinstall server with new OS (for example CentOS 8 Stream) and use the same disks 3. Install ceph packages and restore /etc/ceph and /var/lib/ceph, where you have to persist proper rights ceph:ceph
4. Start systemd units

Michal Strnad

On 8/30/21 5:49 PM, Francois Legrand wrote:
Thanks,
My point is how to reattach safely an osd from the previous server to the new installed distro !
Is there a detailed howto réinstall completely a server (or a cluster) ?
F.

Le 27/08/2021 à 19:47,
Message: 1
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:43:12 +0100
From: Matthew Vernon <mvernon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  Re: Howto upgrade AND change distro
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxx

Hi,

On 27/08/2021 16:16, Francois Legrand wrote:

We are running a ceph nautilus cluster under centos 7. To upgrade to
pacific we need to change to a more recent distro (probably debian or
ubuntu because of the recent announcement about centos 8, but the distro
doesn't matter very much).

However, I could'nt find a clear procedure to upgrade ceph AND the
distro !  As we have more than 100 osds and ~600TB of data, we would
like to avoid as far as possible to wipe the disks and
rebuild/rebalance. It seems to be possible to reinstall a server and
reuse the osds, but the exact procedure remains quite unclear to me.
It's going to be least pain to do the operations separately, which means
you may need to build a set of packages for one or other "end" of the
operation, if you see what I mean?

The Debian and Ubuntu installers both have an "expert mode" which gives
you quite a lot of control which should enable you to upgrade the OS
without touching the OSD disks - but make sure you have backups of all
your Ceph config!

If you're confident (and have enough redundancy), you can set noout
while you upgrade a machine, which will reduce the amount of rebalancing
you have to do when it rejoins the cluster post upgrade.

Regards,

Matthew

[one good thing about Ubuntu's cloud archive is that e.g. you can get
the same version that's default in 20.04 available as packages for 18.04
via UCA meaning you can upgrade Ceph first, and then do the distro
upgrade, and it's pretty painless]