Manual deployment of an OSD failed

Hi all,

going to deploy a test cluster and successfully deployed my first monitor (hurray!).

Now trying to add the first osd host following instructions at: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/install/manual-deployment/#bluestore

I have to note - however - that:

1.

--

copy /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring from monitor node (mon-node1) to /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring on osd node (osd-node1)

--

The source directory on monitor node (in my case named mon1) is empty; however I have my keyring on osd host; I arranged to import the mon keyring and mon map following the instructions here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_ceph_storage/3/html/installation_guide_for_red_hat_enterprise_linux/manually-installing-red-hat-ceph-storage

2.

So I just run:

# ceph-volume lvm create --data /dev/sdb --cluster euch01
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph --cluster ceph --name client.bootstrap-osd --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring -i - osd new 788c15be-7f1f-4151-b8c5-703e4a72361c  stderr: Error initializing cluster client: ObjectNotFound('RADOS object not found (error calling conf_read_file)',)
-->  RuntimeError: Unable to create a new OSD id

Where my cluster custom name is euch01 and volume to deploy OSD is /dev/sdb; however my suspect is that the osd creation fails because on the third "Running command" line I read "--cluster ceph" that is the default cluster name - Note again: I specified my custom cluster name.

Any hint is strongly welcome.

Thank you very much for any help.

Francesco

Some side notes:

- Sorry, newbie here - a lot to learn -> Please be patient.

- With cephadm I arranged to run a test cluster in a very reasonable time - However I don't like containerized solutions in this case due to overhead that I feel quite stupid...

- Tried to deploy with ceph-ansible but installation crash and no support from ceph-ansible developer... no problem: Trying to deploy manually - More things to learn!

- Now to deploy my first monitor I did a collage of the RedHat and Ceph original website because RedHat is pointed to deploy on RHEL and not on other distros like CentOS (or debian); ceph.com seems to miss some important steps that I've found on RH pages. Of course if someone has to suggest a complete guide to deploy Pacific from a to z without containers is strongly welcome.