new ceph cluster + iscsi + vmware: choked ios?

I just brought up a new Octopus cluster (because I want to run it on centos 7 for now)
Everything looks fairly nice on the ceph side.
Running FIO on a gateway pulls up some respectable IO/s on an rbd mapped image.
I can use targetcli to iscsi share it out to a VMware node   (cant use gwcli on centos 7)

I can give a VM access to the iscsi target, as a "raw (virtualized) device)", and it still gives somewhat reasonable IO/s.
4,000/sec

But as soon as I tell vmware to create a datastore on it, and carve a virtual disk out of it for the same VM to use... It chokes.

10 IO/s.
yes, "ten per second".

could anyone give me some suggestions on what to poke at?

I have already tried simplifying the ALUA setup at the vmware CLI level.
At the path level, I have tried setting
  VMW_PSP_FIXED_AP  (VMWSATP_DEFAULT_AA)
or
   Fixed(VMware)     (VMSATP_DEFAULT_AA)

but no luck.

--
Philip Brown| Sr. Linux System Administrator | Medata, Inc.
5 Peters Canyon Rd Suite 250