Huge headaches with NFS and ingress HA failover

Hi,

we recently set up a new pacific cluster with cephadm.
Deployed nfs on two hosts and ingress on two other hosts. (ceph orch apply for nfs and ingress like on the docs page)

So far so good. ESXi with NFS41 connects, but the way ingress works confuses me.

It distributes clients static to one nfs daemon by their ip addresses. (I know nfs won't like it if the client switches all the time, because of reservations.) Three of our ESXi servers seem to connect to host1, the 4th one to the other. This leads to problem in ESXi where it doesn't recognize the store as the same like the others. I can't find on how exactly ESXi calculates that, but there must be different information coming from these nfs daemons. nfs-ganesha doesn't behave exactly the same on these hosts.

Besides that, I wanted to do some failover tests, before the cluster goes live. I stopped stopped on nfs server, but ingress (haproxy) does't seem to care. On the haproxy stats page, both backends are listed with "no check", so there is no failover happening to the NFS clients. haproxy does not fail over to the other host. Datastores are disconnected and unable to connect new ones.

How is ingress supposed to detect a failed nfs server and how to tell ganesha to be identical to each other?

Bonus question: Why can't keepalived not just manage nfs-ganesha on two hosts instead of haproxy? It would eliminate an extra network hop.

Hope someone has a few insights to that. Spent way too much time to switch to some other solution.

Best regards,

Andreas