Re: ceph df (octopus) shows USED is 7 times higher than STORED in erasure coded pool

> Oh, I just read your message again, and I see that I didn't answer your
> question. :D I admit I don't know how MAX AVAIL is calculated, and whether
> it takes things like imbalance into account (it might).

It does. It’s calculated relative to the most-full OSD in the pool, and the full_ratio is also applied to account for the space it effectively reserves.  Significant imbalance in OSD fullness will result in this figure being smaller than one expects from the amount of raw capacity unused.  This is subtle and often misunderstood.

>>>        Sum of POOLS/MAX AVAIL is about 840 GiB

Those numbers can’t be meaningfully summed, since most or all of those pools are sharing the same OSDs.