Re: Ceph with BGP?

On 7/5/21 6:26 PM, German Anders wrote:
Hi All,

    I have an already created and functional ceph cluster (latest luminous
release) with two networks one for the public (layer 2+3) and the other for
the cluster, the public one uses VLAN and its 10GbE and the other one uses
Infiniband with 56Gb/s, the cluster works ok. The public network uses
Juniper QFX5100 switches with VLAN in layer2+3 configuration but the
network team needs to move to a full layer3 and they want to use BGP, so
the question is, how can we move to that schema? What are the
considerations? Is it possible? Is there any step-by-step way to move to
that schema? Also is anything better than BGP or other alternatives?

Ceph doesn't care at all. Just as long as the nodes can communicate to each other, it's fine. It depends on your failure domains how easy you can move to this L3 model. Do you have separate datacenters that you can do one by one, or separate racks?

And you can do BGP on different levels: router, top of rack switches, or even on the Ceph host itselfs (FRR).

We use BGP / VXLAN / EVPN for our Ceph cluster. But it all depends on why your networking teams wants to change to L3, and why.

There are no step by step guides, as most deployments are unique.

This might be a good time to reconsider a separate cluster network. Normally there is no need for that, and might make things simpler.

Do you have separate storage switches? Whre are your clients connected to (separate switches or connected to storage switches as well).

This is not easy to answer without all the details. But for sure there are cluster running with BGP in the field just fine.

Gr. Stefan