Semantics of cephfs-mirror

Dear all,

I'm sorry if I'm asking for the obvious or missing a previous discussion of
this but I could not find the answer to my question online. I'd be happy to
be pointed to the right direction only.

The cephfs-mirror tool in pacific looks extremely promising. How does it
work exactly? Is it based on files and (recursive) ctime or rather based on
object information? Does it handle incremental changes (only) between
snapshots?

There is an issue related to this that mentions recursive ctime. But that
would mean that users could "rsync -a" data to the file system and this
would not get synchronized.

I have good experience with ZFS which is able to identify changes between
two snapshots A and B and then only transfer these changes (using a
sub-file level, on the ZFS equivalent of blocks to my understanding) to
another server with the same file system that is in the exact state as
snapshot A. Does cephfs-mirror work the same?

Best wishes,
Manuel