Re: Can we deprecate FileStore in Quincy?

>> - Bluestore requires OSD hosts with 8GB+ of RAM

With Filestore I found that in production I needed to raise vm.min_free_kbytes, though inheriting the terrible mistake of -n size=65536 didn’t help.

A handful of years back WD Labs did their “microserver” project, a cluster of 504 drives with an onboard ARM CPU and 1GB of RAM, 8TB HDDs I think.  But yeah that most likely was Filestore.

At a Ceph Day in Hillsboro someone, forgive me for not remembering who, spoke of running production on servers with 2GB RAM per OSD.  He said that it was painful, required a lot of work, and would not recommend it.  ymmv.

A few years more recently I suffered a protracted cluster outage, that cascaded with OOMkiller gleefully reaping OSDs as their memory footprints expanded trying to peer and recover.  Mixed Filestore and BlueStore.  The Filestore OSDs were much more impacted than the BlueStore … because of the memory target.

>> - In my experience, it performs poorly on HDD-based clusters with a
>>   small number of disks

Don’t HDD clusters with a small number of disks *always* perform poorly?

>>  Also, only one Ethernet port.

Worse yet they have *zero* HIPPI ports! Can you imagine!?

>>   - Intel NUCs and similar machines can do Ceph work, but only one
>>     Ethernet port is a limitation.

Why the fixation on multiple network interfaces?

>>  (Plus the need to use a console
>>     to manage them instead of using a BMC with a server board or
>>     a multiplexed serial console is a nuisance.)

Not all of us using Ceph are big corporates with deep pockets.  BMCs have an incremental cost.

>> Not all of us using Ceph are big corporates with deep pockets.

I’ve heard that!

In all seriousness, these aren’t limitations for a PoC cluster, but then functional PoCs don’t need BMCs and are easy to deploy on VMs.  For production I wouldn’t think that there would be a lot of good use-cases for a small number of SBC nodes — and that some sort of RAID solution is often a better fit.  There’s also lots of used gear available.  For small scale clusters with modest performance needs, this should be a viable alternative.  I’ve seen any number of folks in that situation.  Donated / abandoned / repurposed hardware.

> FWIW, you can lower both the osd_memory_target and tweak a couple of other settings that will lower bluestore memory usage.  A 2GB target is about the lowest you can reasonably set it to (and you'll likely hurt performance due to cache misses),

Indeed, though assuming that we’re talking small clusters with small drives, one can set the OSD max low to reduce map size, various related tunings, provision a small number of PGs, etc, which I would think would help.  Blacklist unneeded kernel modules?  Disable nf_conntrack with extreme prejudice?

> but saying you need a host with 8+GB of RAM is probably a little excessive.

Especially for a single OSD.

> There's also a good chance that filestore memory usage isn't as consistently low as you think it is.

So, so true.  See above.  I’ve also seen ceph-mgr balloon randomly like mad, but that’s a tangent.

>  Yes you can avoid the in-memory caches that bluestore has since filestore relies more heavily on page cache, but things like osdmap, pglog, and various other buffers are still going to use memory in filestore just like bluestore.  You might find yourself working fine 99% of the time and then going OOM during recovery or something if you try to deploy filestore on a low memory SBC.

Or when something fails, or a customer issues a few thousand snap trims at the same time :-x