Re: OT: How to Build a poor man's storage with ceph

Hi Michael,

El 8/6/21 a las 11:38, Ml Ml escribió:
Hello List,

i used to build 3 Node Cluster with spinning Rust and later with
(Enterprise) SSDs.
All i did was to buy a 19" Server with 10/12 Slots, plug in the Disks
and i was done.
The Requirements were just 10/15TB Disk usage (30-45TB Raw).

Now i was asked if i could also build a cheap 200-500TB Cluster
Storage, which should also scale. Just for Data Storage such as
NextCloud/OwnCloud.

Buying 3x 24 Slot Server with 8TB Enterprise SSDs ends up at about 3x
45k EUR = 135k EUR.
Where the SSDs are 90% of the price. (about 1.700EUR per 8TB SSD)

How do the "big boys" do this? Just throw money at it?
Would a mix of OSD SSD Metadata + Spinning Rust do the job?

My experience so far is that each time i had a crash/problem it was
always such a pain to wait for the spinning rust.

Do you have any experience/hints on this?
Maybe combine 3x 10TB HDDs to a 30TB Raid0/striping Disk => which
would speed up the performance, but have a bigger impact on a dying
disk.

My requirements are more or less low IO Traffic but loads of disk space usage.

Any hints/ideas/links are welcome.

You don't give details about RAM and CPU, but at 24xEnterprise SSD per server I think you'll be wasting much of those SSD's performance...

I suggest you consider a 4-6 server cluster, and SSD for wal + Spinning disks for storage. This will give you more redundancy for less money, and more peace of mind when a spinning disk fails.

Cheers

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 | https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/