Re: SAS vs SATA for OSD

Agreed.  I think oh …. maybe 15-20 years ago there was often a wider difference between SAS and SATA drives, but with modern queuing etc. my sense is that there is less of an advantage.  Seek and rotational latency I suspect dwarf interface differences wrt performance.  The HBA may be a bigger bottleneck (and way more trouble).

500 GB NVMe seems like a lot per HDD, are you using that as WAL+DB with RGW, or as dmcache or something?

Depending on your constraints, QLC flash might be more competitive than you think ;)

— aad