Re: SAS vs SATA for OSD

Dave-

These are just general observations of how SATA drives operate in storage
clusters.

It has been a while since I have run a storage cluster with SATA drives,
but in the past I did notice that SATA drives would drop off the
controllers pretty frequently. Depending on many factors, it may just be a
brief outage where the drive wasn't available but recoverable, sometimes it
meant going into the controller and rescanning for drives before they could
be added back to the system, the worst was one chassis that would mark the
drives as failed after the drive dropped off a certain number of times and
the vendor could not correct the issue with a firmware update and had to
replace the storage chassis.

Regards,
-Jamie

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 5:26 PM Dave Hall <kdhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're planning another batch of OSD nodes for our cluster.  Our prior nodes
> have been 8 x 12TB SAS drives plus 500GB NVMe per HDD.  Due to market
> circumstances and the shortage of drives those 12TB SAS drives are in short
> supply.
>
> Our integrator has offered an option of 8 x 14TB SATA drives (still
> Enterprise).  For Ceph, will the switch to SATA carry a performance
> difference that I should be concerned about?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Dave
>
> --
> Dave Hall