Re: XFS on RBD on EC painfully slow

Hi Reed,

To add to this command by Weiwen:

On 28.05.21 13:03, 胡 玮文 wrote:
Have you tried just start multiple rsync process simultaneously to transfer different directories? Distributed system like ceph often benefits from more parallelism.

When I migrated from XFS on iSCSI (legacy system, no Ceph) to CephFS a few months ago, I used msrsync [1] and was quite happy with the speed. For your use case, I would start with -p 12 but might experiment with up to -p 24 (as you only have 6C/12T in your CPU). With many small files, you also might want to increase -s from the default 1000.

Note that msrsync does not work with the --delete rsync flag. As I was syncing a live system, I ended up with this workflow:

- Initial sync with msrsync (something like ./msrsync -p 12 --progress --stats --rsync "-aS --numeric-ids" ...)
- Second sync with msrsync (to sync changes during the first sync)
- Take old storage off-line for users / read-only
- Final rsync with --delete (i.e. rsync -aS --numeric-ids --delete ...)
- Mount cephfs at location of old storage, adjust /etc/exports with fsid entries where necessary, turn system back on-line / read-write

Cheers
Sebastian

[1] https://github.com/jbd/msrsync