dashboard connecting to the object gateway

I'm still trying to understand how the manager and dashboard connect to different object gateway, and I don’t really understand how it works.

Initially, I wanted to have each gateway listen only to localhost, on http:
[client.radosgw.<%= $id%>]
  rgw_frontends = beast endpoint=127.0.0.1:9080

It fails, but in a strange way. It was indeed connecting to the port 9080, so the mgr reads that line, but using the host IP.

I can easily understand why binding only to 127.0.0.1 was a bad idea, but I don't understand how it choose the IP to connect to.
When looking at the configuration using the dasbhoard, I see a field called hostname. This value seems to be read-only, as set it it in ceph.conf to a obvious wrong value (www.google.com <http://www.google.com/>) does not change it.
Is it that field that is used ? It's important because if I want to have SSL verification, I must know the value: IP, hostname, FQDN ? that I will put in the Subject Alternative Name of the certificate.