Re: HBA vs caching Raid controller

I don’t have the firmware versions handy, but at one point around the 2014-2015 timeframe I found that both LSI’s firmware and storcli claimed that the default setting was DiskDefault, ie. leave whatever the drive has alone.  It turned out, though, that for the 9266 and 9271, at least, behind the scenes it was claiming DiskDefault, but was actually turning on the drive’s volatile cache.  Which resulted in the power-loss behavior you describe.

There were also hardware and firmware issues that resulted in preserved / pinned cache not being properly restored - in one case, if even a drive failed hard, I had to replace the HBA in order to boot.

I posted a list of RoC HBA thoughts including these to the list back around late-summer 2017.