Re: HBA vs caching Raid controller

> One server has LSI SAS3008 [0] instead of the Perc H800,
> which comes with 512MB RAM + BBU. On most servers latencies are around
> 4-12ms (average 6ms), on the system with the LSI controller we see
> 20-60ms (average 30ms) latency.

Are these reads, writes, or a mixed workload?  I would expect an
improvement in writes, but 512MB of cache isn't likely to help much on
reads with such a large data set.

Just as a test, you could removing the battery on one of the H800s to
disable the write cache -- or else disable write caching with megaraid
or equivalent.