Re: Upmap balancer after node failure

Hi Andras.

Assuming that you've already tightened the
mgr/balancer/upmap_max_deviation to 1, I suspect that this cluster
already has too many upmaps.

Last time I checked, the balancer implementation is not able to
improve a pg-upmap-items entry if one already exists for a PG. (It can
add an OSD mapping pair to an PG, but not change an existing pair from
one osd to another).
So I think that what happens in this case is the balancer gets stuck
in a sort of local minimum in the overall optimization.

It can therefore help to simply remove some upmaps, and then wait for
the balancer to do a better job when it re-creates new entries for
those PGs.
And there's usually some low hanging fruit -- you can start by
removing pg-upmap-items which are mapping PGs away from the least full
OSDs. (Those upmap entries are making the least full OSDs even *less*
full.)

We have a script for that:
https://github.com/cernceph/ceph-scripts/blob/master/tools/upmap/rm-upmaps-underfull.py
It's a pretty hacky and I don't use it often, so please use it with
caution -- you can run it and review which upmaps it would remove.

Hope this helps,

Dan