March 2021 Tech Talk and Code Walk-through

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to announce two talks we have on the schedule for March 2021:

Persistent Bucket Notifications By Yuval Lifshitz

https://ceph.io/ceph-tech-talks/

The stream starts on March 25th at 17:00 UTC / 18:00 CET / 1:00 PM
EST / 10:00 AM PST

Persistent bucket notifications are going to be introduced in Ceph
"Pacific." The idea behind them is to allow for reliable and
asynchronous delivery of notifications from the RADOS gateway (RGW) to
the endpoint configured at the topic. Regular notifications could also
be considered reliable since the delivery to the endpoint is performed
synchronously during the request.

However, this reliability is only from the RGW perspective, meaning
that the client will not get an ACK until an ACK is received from the
endpoint but does not retry if the endpoint is down or disconnected.
Also, note that, with regular notifications, if the endpoint sends
back a NACK, the operation is still considered successful (since there
is no way to rollback the RADOS operations that happened before the
notification was tried).

When the endpoint is down but failed to push, the notification is only
timeout base; using regular notifications will slow down the operation
of the RGW and may bring it to a complete halt.

With persistent notifications, we allow the RGW to retry sending
notifications even if the endpoint is down or a network disconnect
with it during the operation (notifications are retried if not
successfully delivered to the endpoint). Also, the operation is
a-synchronous, so during the operation, the notifications are just
pushed into a queue (see below), and the actual sending to the
endpoint is happening a-synchronously. The queuing operation is done
in 2 phases (reserve and commit or abort) to guarantee the queuing
operation's atomicity with the other operations.

In case you missed the last Tech Talk, see Sage Weil's presentation on
What's new in Pacific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVtn53MbxTc

Samuel Just will be giving a code walkthrough on RADOS Snapshots.

https://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/Code_Walkthroughs

The stream starts on March 23rd at 17:00 UTC / 18:00 CET / 1:00 PM
EST / 10:00 AM PST

In case you missed it, watch Part 2 of LibRBD I/O Flow by Jason Dillaman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVjYVmqNClM

All live streams will be recorded.

--
Mike Perez (thingee)