LVM vs. direct disk acess

Good evening,

I've seen the shift in ceph to focus more on LVM than on plain (direct)
access to disks. I was wondering what the motivation is for that.

>From my point of view OSD disk layouts never change (they are re-added
if they do), so the dynamic approach of LVM is probably not the
motivation.

LVM also adds another layer of indirection and it seems it would be of
disadvantage performance wise as well as added complexity for
management. The former is probably only a minor degradation, the latter
is something I see more as obstacle for maintenance.

At ungleich we are using a custom script [0] to format a disk with two
partitions, one for the metadata, one for the rest, which seems to be
more simple.

I assume there are good reasons not to do as we do, but I was wondering
what the practical reasons actually are.

Best regards,

Nico

[0] https://code.ungleich.ch/ungleich-public/ungleich-tools/-/blob/master/ceph/ceph-osd-create-start

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch