how smart is ceph recovery?

1. is backfilling/remapping so smart that it will do what ever it can? Or are there situations like a pg a. is scheduled to be moved, but can not be moved because of min_size. Now another pg b. cannot be moved because pg a. allocated osd space and the backfill ratio will be met.
Yet if the order was reversed if the pg b. would be moved and pg a. would not be moved because it is stuck anyway and the backfill ratio will be met.

2. If a down host comes up again and it's osd are started. Is data still being copied, or does ceph see that checksums(?) are the same and just sets a pointer(?) back to the old location?