A practical approach to efficiently store 100 billions small objects in Ceph

Bonjour,

In the past weeks a few mailing list threads[0][1][2] explored the problem of storing billions of small objects in Ceph. There was great feedback (I learned at lot) and it turns out the solution is a rather simple aggregation of the ideas that were suggested during these discussions. It is described in detail here:

   https://wiki.softwareheritage.org/wiki/A_practical_approach_to_efficiently_store_100_billions_small_objects_in_Ceph

The next step will be to write and run benchmarks[3]. Although I'm convinced it is a good solution, I've been wrong before and confirmation is required :-) Many thanks to all the participants in the discussions on behalf of the Software Heritage project[4].

Cheers

[0] Storing 20 billions of immutable objects in Ceph, 75% <16KB https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/JSG2TXKNXPXEKZOJZGYF2ZPTQHOB4LHJ/
[1] Small RGW objects and RADOS 64KB minimun size https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/AEMW6O7WVJFMUIX7QGI2KM7HKDSTNIYT/
[2] Using RBD to pack billions of small files https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/RHQ5ZCHJISXIXOJSH3TU7DLYVYHRGTAT/