Cephfs metadata and MDS on same node

Dear Ceph’ers

I am about to upgrade MDS nodes for Cephfs in the Ceph cluster (erasure code 8+3 ) I am administrating.

Since they will get plenty of memory and CPU cores, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to move metadata OSDs (NVMe's currently on OSD nodes together with cephfs_data ODS (HDD)) to the MDS nodes?

Configured as:

4 x MDS with each a metadata OSD and configured with 4 x replication

so each metadata OSD would have a complete copy of metadata.

I know MDS, stores al lot of metadata in RAM, but if metadata OSDs were on MDS nodes, would that not bring down latency?

Anyway, I am just asking for your opinion on this? Pros and cons or even better somebody who actually have tried this?

Best regards,
Jesper

Jesper Lykkegaard Karlsen
Scientific Computing
Centre for Structural Biology
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics
Aarhus University
Gustav Wieds Vej 10
8000 Aarhus C

E-mail: jelka@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jelka@xxxxxxxxx>