Re: CephFS: side effects of not using ceph-mgr volumes / subvolumes

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM Sebastian Knust
<sknust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Assuming a cluster (currently octopus, might upgrade to pacific once
> released) serving only CephFS and that only to a handful of kernel and
> fuse-clients (no OpenStack, CSI or similar): Are there any side effects
> of not using the ceph-mgr volumes module abstractions [1], namely
> subvolumes and subvolume groups, that I have to consider?

The "volume" abstraction helps with creating the file system/MDS and
may help with management in the future. No side-effects for not using
either one.

> I would still only mount subtrees of the whole (single) CephFS file
> system and have some clients which mount multiple disjunct subtrees.
> Quotas would only be set on the subtree level which I am mounting,
> likewise file layouts. Snapshots (via mkdir in .snap) would be used on
> the mounting level or one level above.
>

> Background: I don't require the abstraction features per se. Some
> restrictions (e.g. subvolume group snapshots not being supported) seem
> to me to be caused only by the abstraction layer and not the underlying
> CephFS. For my specific use case I require snapshots on the subvolume
> group layer. It therefore seems better to just forego the abstraction as
> a whole and work on bare CephFS.

subvolumegroup snapshots will come back, probably in a minor release of Pacific.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His