How to get ceph-volume to take pre-existing, working auth?

I'm trying to use ceph-volume to do various things.
It works fine locally, for things like
  ceph-volume lvm zap

But when I want it to do OSD level things, it is unhappy.

To use a trivial example, it wants to do things like

/usr/bin/ceph --cluster ceph --keyring /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring osd tree -f json

but then dies saying,
[errno 13] RADOS permission denied (error connecting to the cluster)

and if I directly run that long command myself, it indeed dies.
(which is not too surprising, since /var/lib/ceph/bootstrap-osd/ceph.keyring does not exist)

However, if I just run from the same command prompt,

/usr/bin/ceph osd tree -f json

it works fine.

How can i get ceph-volume to just use the creds that are already working somewhere?

--
Philip Brown| Sr. Linux System Administrator | Medata, Inc.
5 Peters Canyon Rd Suite 250