Re: CephFS Octopus snapshots / kworker at 100% / kernel vs. fuse client

Hello Sebastian,

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:38 AM Sebastian Knust
<sknust@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running a Ceph Octopus (15.2.8) cluster primarily for CephFS.

v15.2.9 (not yet released) would be the recommended version to start
doing this (it builds some protections into how subvolumes are
snapshotted) but your current workflow looks safe for v15.2.8.

> Metadata is stored on SSD, data is stored in three different pools on
> HDD. Currently, I use 22 subvolumes.
>
> I am rotating snapshots on 16 subvolumes, all in the same pool, which is
> the primary data pool for CephFS. Currently I have 41 snapshots per
> subvolume. The goal is 50 snapshots (see bottom of mail for details).
> Snapshots are only placed in the root subvolume directory, i.e.
> /volumes/_nogroup/subvolname/hex-id/.snap

Keep in mind those snapshots will not be visible via the `ceph fs
subvolume` interface. Are you not using the `ceph fs subvolume
snapshot` interface?

> I place the snapshots on one of the nodes. Complete CephFS is mounted,
> mkdir and rmdir is performed for each relevant subvolume, then CephFS is
> unmounted again. All PGs are active+clean most of the time, only a few
> in snaptrim for 1-2 minutes after snapshot deletion. I therefore assume
> that snaptrim is not a limiting factor.
>
> Obviously, the total number of snapshots is more than the 400 and 100 I
> see mentioned in some documentation. I am unsure if that is an issue
> here, as the snapshots are all in disjunct subvolumes.

That guidance is obsolete now with the changes present in v15.2.9.

> When mounting the subvolumes with kernel client (ranging from CentOS 7
> supplied 3.10 up to 5.4.93), after some time and for some subvolumes the
> kworker process begins to hug 100% cpu usage and stat operations become
> very slow (even slower than with fuse client). I can mostly replicate
> this by starting specific rsync operations (with many small files, e.g.
> CTAN, CentOS, Debian mirrors) and by running a bareos backup. The
> kworker process seems to be stuck even after terminating the causing
> operating, i.e. rsync or bareos-fd.
>
> Interestingly, I can even trigger these issues on a host that has only a
> single CephFS subvolume without any snapshots mounted, as long as that
> subvolume is in the same pool as other subvolumes with snapshots.
>
> I don't see any abnormal behaviour on the cluster nodes or on other
> clients during these kworker hanging phases.

Can you retest with CentOS 8? There are numerous changes and bugfixes
that may have addressed this.
> With fuse client, in normal operation stat calls are about 10-20x slower
> than with the kernel client. However, I don't encounter the extreme
> slowdown behaviour. I am therefore currently mounting some
> known-problematic subvolumes with fuse and non-problematic subvolumes
> with the kernel client.
>

> My questions are:
> - Is this known or expected behaviour?

No

> - I could move the subvolumes with snapshots into a subvolumegroup and
> snapshot the whole group instead of each subvolume. Will this be likely
> to solve the issues?

No, please don't do this except through the subvolume API. Note:
subvolume group snapshots are currently disabled (but may not be for
your version of Octopus) but we expect to bring it back soon.

> - What is the current recommendation regarding CephFS and max number of
> snapshots?

A given directory should have less than ~100 snapshots including
inherited snapshots.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His