Re: Worst thing that can happen if I have size= 2

> - three servers
> - three monitors
> - 6 osd (two per server)
> - size=3 and min_size=2

This is a set-up that I would not run at all. The first one is, that ceph lives on the law of large numbers and 6 is a small number. Hence, your OSD fill-up due to uneven distribution.

What comes to my mind is a hyper-converged server with 6+ disks in a RAID10 array, possibly with a good controller with battery-powered or other non-volatile cache. Ceph will never beat that performance. Put in some extra disks as hot-spare and you have close to self-healing storage.

Such a small ceph cluster will inherit all the baddies of ceph (performance, maintenance) without giving any of the goodies (scale-out, self-healing, proper distributed raid protection). Ceph needs size to become well-performing and pay off the maintenance and architectural effort.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14