From: Tony Liu <tonyliu0592@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 03 February 2021 03:10:26
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject:  replace OSD without PG remapping

Hi,

There are multiple different procedures to replace an OSD.
What I want is to replace an OSD without PG remapping.

I tried "orch osd rm --replace", which sets OSD reweight 0 and
status "destroyed". "orch osd rm status" shows "draining".
All PGs on this OSD are remapped. Checked "pg dump", can't find
this OSD any more.

1) Given [1], setting weight 0 seems better than setting reweight 0.
Is that right? If yes, should we change the behavior of "orch osd
rm --replace"?

2) "ceph status" doesn't show anything about OSD draining.
Is there any way to see the progress of draining?
Is there actually copy happening? The PG on this OSD is remapped
and copied to another OSD, right?

3) When OSD is replaced, there will be remapping and backfilling.

4) There is remapping in #2 and remapping again in #3.
I want to avoid it.

Is there any procedure that doesn't mark OSD out (set reweight 0),
neither set weight 0, which should keep PG map unchanged, but just
warn about less redundancy (one out of 3 OSDs of PG is down), and
when OSD is replaced, no remapping, just data backfilling?

[1] https://ceph.com/geen-categorie/difference-between-ceph-osd-reweight-and-ceph-osd-crush-reweight/

Thanks!
Tony