Increasing QD=1 performance (lowering latency)

Hi,

There are many talks and presentations out there about Ceph's
performance. Ceph is great when it comes to parallel I/O, large queue
depths and many applications sending I/O towards Ceph.

One thing where Ceph isn't the fastest are 4k blocks written at Queue
Depth 1.

Some applications benefit very much from high performance/low latency
I/O at qd=1, for example Single Threaded applications which are writing
small files inside a VM running on RBD.

With some tuning you can get to a ~700us latency for a 4k write with
qd=1 (Replication, size=3)

I benchmark this using fio:

$ fio --ioengine=librbd --bs=4k --iodepth=1 --direct=1 .. .. .. ..

700us latency means the result will be about ~1500 IOps (1000 / 0.7)

When comparing this to let's say a BSD machine running ZFS that's on the
low side. With ZFS+NVMe you'll be able to reach about somewhere between
7.000 and 10.000 IOps, the latency is simply much lower.

My benchmarking / test setup for this:

- Ceph Nautilus/Octopus (doesn't make a big difference)
- 3x SuperMicro 1U with:
- AMD Epyc 7302P 16-core CPU
- 128GB DDR4
- 10x Samsung PM983 3,84TB
- 10Gbit Base-T networking

Things to configure/tune:

- C-State pinning to 1
- CPU governer to performance
- Turn off all logging in Ceph (debug_osd, debug_ms, debug_bluestore=0)

Higher clock speeds (New AMD Epyc coming in March!) help to reduce the
latency and going towards 25Gbit/100Gbit might help as well.

These are however only very small increments and might help to reduce
the latency by another 15% or so.

It doesn't bring us anywhere near the 10k IOps other applications can do.

And I totally understand that replication over a TCP/IP network takes
time and thus increases latency.

The Crimson project [0] is aiming to lower the latency with many things
like DPDK and SPDK, but this is far from finished and production ready.

In the meantime, am I overseeing some things here? Can we reduce the
latency further of the current OSDs?

Reaching a ~500us latency would already be great!

Thanks,

Wido

[0]: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/dev/crimson/crimson/