Re: RBD-Mirror Snapshot Scalability

Looks like a script and cron will be a solid work around.

Still interested to know if there are any options to make it so rbd-mirror can take more than 1 mirror snap per second.

From: "adamb" <adamb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2021 11:18:36 AM
Subject:  RBD-Mirror Snapshot Scalability

I have noticed that RBD-Mirror snapshot mode can only manage to take 1 snapshot per second. For example I have 21 images in a single pool. When the schedule is triggered it takes the mirror snapshot of each image 1 at a time. It doesn't feel or look like a performance issue as the OSD's are Micron 9300 PRO NVMe's and each server has 2x Intel Platinum 8268 CPU's.

I was hoping that adding more RDB-Mirror instance would help, but that only seems to help with overall throughput. As it sits I have 3 RBD-Mirror instances running on each cluster.

We run a 30 minute snapshot schedule to our remote site as it is, based on that I can only squeeze 1800 mirror snaps every 30 minutes.

I was hoping there might be something I am missing with RBD-Mirror as far as scaling goes.

Maybe multiple pools would be a solution and have other benefits?