Re: [Query] Safe to discard bucket lock objects in reshard pool?

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Prasad Krishnan
<prasad.krishnan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ceph users,
>
> We have a slightly dated version of Luminous cluster in which dynamic
> bucket resharding was accidentally enabled due to a misconfig (we don't use
> this feature since the number of objects per bucket is capped).
>
> This resulted in creation of the RGW reshard pool with lots of bucket
> reshard lock objects (we have thousands of buckets) which is leading to
> clutter. Also, we've run into a malloc failure issue (similar to
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/21826 but not the same since we already use
> tcmalloc) on the OSDs in which these reshard lock objects are located and
> we'd like to reduce the objects that have to be copied out.
>
> My question to the community is: "Is it safe to discard the bucket reshard
> lock objects if we know that we'll never use the reshard feature on the
> cluster again?".

yes, they can be safely deleted. those locks just prevent multiple
radosgws from trying to reshard at the same time. any such locks would
have expired long ago, so removing them should have no observable
effect