osd gradual reweight question

Hi,

We are replacing HDD with SSD, and we first (gradually) drain (reweight) the HDDs with 0.5 steps until 0 = empty.

Works perfectly.

Then (just for kicks) I tried reducing HDD weight from 3.6 to 0 in one large step. That seemed to have had more impact on the cluster, and we even noticed some OSD's temporarily go down after a few minutes. It all worked out, but the impact seemed much larger.

We never had OSDs go down when gradually reducing the weight step by step. This surprised us.

Is it expected that the impact of a sudden reweight from 3.6 to 0 is bigger than a gradual step-by-step decrease?

I would assume the impact to be similar, only the time it takes to reach HEALTH_OK to be longer.

Thanks,
MJ