Updating Git Submodules -- a documentation question

I'm working on some improvements to the Developer Guide. One of those is a
section that explains more clearly to people new to Ceph how to know that
your submodules are out of date and what to do when they are.

The following location (inb4 I know that this is not the optimal place for
this information, which is the whole point of this exercise) explains how
to update submodules:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/install/clone-source/?highlight=update%20submodules#clone-the-source

Sometimes in my local repo, I get the following messages after I run "$ git
reset --hard ceph/master", and I'd like to understand what's going on here,
and whether I should expect the submodule-updating procedure to remedy it:

zdover@zdover-ThinkPad-T530:~/Documents/ceph/src$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'remotes/origin/master'.

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

lua/

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

Any insight into this matter is welcome.

Thanks,

Zac Dover
Upstream Docs
Ceph Foundation