Ceph on ARM ?

Hi guys,

I was looking at some Huawei ARM-based servers and the datasheets are very interesting. The high CPU core numbers and the SoC architecture should be ideal for a distributed storage like Ceph, at least in theory.

 I'm planning to build a new Ceph cluster in the future and my best case scenario right now is to buy 7 servers with  2 x Intel Silver 12-core or 2 x Gold 20-core CPUs, 32 SATA drives each. And of course - SSDs/NVMEs for wal/db and the metadata pools , 256GB RAM and so on.

 I'm curious however if the ARM servers are better or not for this use case (object-storage only).  For example, instead of using 2xSilver/Gold server, I can use a Taishan 5280 server with 2x Kungpen 920 ARM CPUs with up to 128 cores in total .  So I can have twice as many CPU cores (or even more) per server comparing with x86.  Probably the price is lower for the ARM servers as well.

    Has anyone tested Ceph in such scenario ?  Is the Ceph software really optimised for the ARM architecture ?  What do you think about this ?

  Thanks !