Re: osd_pglog memory hoarding - another case

Hi,

> I don't think the default osd_min_pg_log_entries has changed recently.
> In https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/47775 I proposed that we limit the
> pg log length by memory -- if it is indeed possible for log entries to
> get into several MB, then this would be necessary IMHO.

I've had a surprising crash course on pg_log in the last 36 hours. But for the size of each entry, you're right. I counted pg log * ODS, and did not take into factor pg log * OSDs * pgs on the OSD. Still the total memory use that an OSD uses for pg_log was ~22GB / OSD process.

> But you said you were trimming PG logs with the offline tool? How long
> were those logs that needed to be trimmed?

The logs we are trimming were ~3000, we trimmed them to the new size of 500. After restarting the OSDs, it dropped the pg_log memory usage from ~22GB, to what we guess is 2-3GB but with the cluster at this state, it's hard to be specific.

Cheers,
Kalle