Re: (Ceph Octopus) Repairing a neglected Ceph cluster - Degraded Data Reduncancy, all PGs degraded, undersized, not scrubbed in time

To throw in my 5 cents. Choosing m in k+m EC replication is not random and the argument that anyone with larger m could always say lower m is wrong is also not working.

Why are people recommending m>=2 for production (or R>=3 replicas)?

Its very simple. What is forgotten below is maintenance. Whenever you do maintenance on ceph, there will be longer episodes of degraded redundancy as OSDs are down. However, on production storage systems, writes *always* need to go to redundant storage. Hence, minimum redundancy under maintenance is the keyword here.

With m=1 (R=2) one could never do any maintenance without down time as shutting down just 1 OSD would imply writes to non-redundant storage, which in turn would mean data loss in case a disk dies during maintenance.

Basically, with m parity shards you can do maintenance on m-1 failure domains at the same time without downtime or non-redundant writes. With R copies you can do maintenance on R-2 failure domains without downtime.

If your SLAs require higher minimum redundancy at all times, m (R) need to be large enough to allow maintenance unless you do downtime. However, the latter would be odd, because one of the key features of ceph is its ability to provides infinite uptime while hardware gets renewed all the time.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14